During his long career, the famous Irish writer from the 19th century named Oscar Wilde wrote poems, plays, novels, epigrams, essays, and short stories. But no matter what genre he chose, his wit and exquisite sense of humor would always shine through the lines he wrote. We’ll always remember Oscar Wilde for his sharp, wise statements about everything from love and life to art and fashion.
Here at Bright Side, we fell in love with Oscar Wilde’s witty, wise quotes that we can still relate to in the 21st century, and here are our favorites.
- The world is a stage and the play is badly cast.
- I don’t want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.
- I never put off till tomorrow what I can possibly do the day after.
- Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every 6 months.
- Hear no evil, speak no evil, and you won’t be invited to cocktail parties.
- A good friend will always stab you in the front.
- To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.
- You can never be overdressed or overeducated.
- We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.
- There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.
- The nicest feeling in the world is to do a good deed anonymously and have somebody find out.
- Education is an admirable thing, but it is good to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
- A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.
- Crying is for plain women. Pretty women go shopping.
- A bore is someone who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company.
- I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.
- Anybody can sympathize with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathize with a friend’s success.
- Life is never fair, and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not.
- No good deed goes unpunished.
- Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
- There are only 2 kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.
- They’ve promised that dreams can come true but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams too.
- The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork.
- Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.
Which of these quotes inspired you the most? Have you ever read poems, novels, or plays by Oscar Wilde?